Pregnancy Care / Maternity Services Limerick
University maternity Hospital Limerick is located on the Ennis Road in close proximity to our practice. Their booklet provides an extensive guide to the care you will receive during your pregnancy and information about antenatal classes and the antenatal clinic in Limerick.
Maternity Care Services
Every woman who is pregnant and ordinarily resident in Ireland is entitled to maternity care under the Maternity and Infant Scheme. Ordinarily resident means you are living here, or you intend to remain living here for at least one year. Ireland provides very high quality Maternity care, to both mothers and infants.
Preparing For Pregnancy
If you are hoping to become pregnant there are a few things you can and should do to improve your general health and so help your pregnancy to progress smoothly. Most pregnancies are not planned, however, and still progress normally, resulting in a healthy mother and baby.
Rollercoaster.ie has a very useful article on pre-conception health.
Stages of pregnancy
The first trimester (weeks 0-13):
- The baby's development is greatest during this stage. By the end of week 13, it will be fully formed.
- Some of the common discomforts of pregnancy, such as nausea, fatigue and breast tenderness, will be most pronounced during these early weeks.
The second trimester (weeks 14-26):
- During this time, the baby continues to grow and develop and the mother starts to gain some weight as extra fat is laid down as energy reserves.
- The baby's movements in the womb can be felt and they may begin to develop patterns of activity.
The third trimester (weeks 27-birth):
- The baby will start to lay down its own fat stores, going through rapid growth phases in preparation for birth.
- The baby's lungs will mature and senses such as hearing, taste and sight will develop.
- You may find it more difficult to get comfortable at night and you will need to urinate more often.
- Practice contractions, known as Braxton Hicks, can be a regular feature.
HSE - Maternity Services
Breastfeeding.ie - high quality breastfeeding support services
Rollercoaster.ie - Pregnancy & Parenting website
Mummyservices.ie - Irish pregnancy website
Ante-Natal Classes in Limerick
Antenatal classes in Limerick are held in the University Maternity Hospital Limericks patient education centre, located at the back of the hospital on the Ennis Road. You are encouraged to attend your first class before week 20 of your pregnancy. Topics covered at the antenatal class include pregnancy, labour, breastfeeding and care of the newborn baby. Your classes will be taught by both a physiotherapist and a midwife.
Category: GeneralAfter a European wide shortage we are pleased to confirm that the Hepatitis A vaccine is back in stock.
Category: GeneralDue to the unprecedented storm expected to hit Limerick on Monday and the weather warnings from Met Eireann we are asking patients not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Our ability to provide general practice services on this day cannot be guaranteed at this point in time though we will endeavour to do so if safe. We are advised that UL hospitals group has cancelled all outpatients appointments but the Emergency department at University Hospital Limerick is open as normal and the local injury unit in St Johns will be open from 9am to 6pm.
Category: GeneralEnjoy the sunshine (especially if you are going overseas) but don't forget sun protection - slip on a shirt, slap on a hat and slop on the 50+ sunscreen!
Category: GeneralEnnis Road Medical Centre is delighted to announce that we are now offering Oil and Gas UK medicals in Limerick.